Sky Don Fall [Part V]



Shack, Run Down, Rural, Wooden, Dilapidated, OldDoris called one Tuesday morning, exactly five weeks after Femi had first come to the flat. There was a ring to her voice that scared the life out of me.
          “Anwuli!” She sang. “I can see your name here oh! I can see your name! Obi-Chimere Anwulika Sandra!”
          I nearly dropped the phone. My knees weakened and I crumbled to the floor. “Doris,” I panted. “I take God beg you, abeg no play this kain play with me.”         
          “No be joke, my sister! Your name is out! I am looking at it here as we speak!”
          I wanted to scream, but I didn’t. I cried as she told me I had to report to FUTO the next day to pick my call-up letter up. I thanked her amidst sobs.
          That evening, mummy retuned home in a foul mood. She flung her bag on the dining table and barked that I get her dinner. When I told her my call-up letter had been released, she stopped in her tracks. Her shoulders softened and her eyes widened. And then a small smile crept across her lips. She spread her arms out and I walked into an embrace I had not known to exist in years.
          The power cut soon after and I met Femi in the shed. As I watched him fiddle with his generator in the dimness of his torch, my throat constricted.
          He straightened as he saw me.
“Aunty Anwuli,” he said, “make I on una gen?”
          I watched him as he did and thanked him. He turned his torch off and we eased out of the shed. We stood along the back wall of the compound, tucked out of sight in the shadows. It was a noisy night but a cool breeze was blowing, tickling my face.
Femi was standing close to me. His voice was low.
          “Aunty, why you dey…”
          “My school reopened,” I said.
          I heard him heave then, and watched the outline of his face erupt into a smile. “Hmm. I no tell you say God get him way?”
“You did.”
“So… na go be that?”
          “Yes. Tomorrow.”    
          He stepped closer yet, and I could smell the stew on his breath.
“Who go come cook Indomie for me, teach me English?” He asked.
          “You can always learn English, Femi.”
          “If I want make you teach me nko?” His chest was barely an inch away from mine now.
          My heart pounded. “I will come and visit.”
          He shook his head. “No. Woman like you no dey come back.”
          I looked down but my chin met his index finger and he gently lifted my head up. Tears stung the back of my eyes. It was only then I realized I had been holding my breath.
His lips came down on my cheek, rested there, and we stood like that in the darkness for what felt like an eternity.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts