Tomorrow's body

This is for the stretch marks I will aquire
Around my hips, buttocks, stomach and breasts
When my children become molded inside me
Arms, legs, lips and ribcages
Formed inside my dainty body
Whole humans
Enclose within
Widening my waist, stomach, frame and pelvis

This is for the light lines
That will mark me
Crawling up, down and around me
Thick, thin, swirling lines that will sparkle
Glow

This is an apology to my stomach:
Childbirth might disappoint you
And to my skin:
You will not always be this in control

But you will always be beautiful
Even when you inherit a pouch you can't get rid of
No matter how many sit-ups you can manage inbetween homework time and dinner time
You will always be beautiful
Drooping breasts
Slacked skin
Aching back
And all

Even when he doesn't say it
You are beautiful
And when your friends make insensitive comments about your weight and nose
You are beautiful
Look at your mother
And remind yourself about the privilege, the miracle that is motherhood
It is worth it

Comments

  1. I am now, and I'll be then. Your words are............... Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts