We are Baga



Here I am worrying about my introduction, while hundreds of women my age and younger have been kidnapped by Boko Haram. Stories of survivors describe the horror of sexual slavery and of being paraded before militants to become forced wives.

I first heard about the attack on Baga on Thursday evening and didn’t want it to be true. I heard about it again on Friday and could not turn away from the truth; Boko Haram has razed to the ground the town in Borno State, northern Nigeria, which once had a population of about 10,000 people. This is the second attack on the town this month and the extremist sect killed nearly 2,000 people on Wednesday, 7th January. According to one article, the victims were mostly children, women and the elderly who could not run fast enough when the militants attacked the town with rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles. 

Civilians in Borno State have been left, time and time again, to defend themselves against Boko Haram while  – guess what? – our leaders have been rallying to win votes for next month’s national elections. There are no words to describe this level of cruelty. But in Nigeria, as always, life continues; as fighters of a local defense group in Baga stayed up all night on Thursday trying to count corpses, the rest of us tucked ourselves into bed and slept quite comfortably. More than 10,000 people have been killed by Boko Haram since 2009, over a million Nigerians have been displaced, hundreds of thousands are now refugees in Chad and Cameroon, and hundreds of children have been separated from their parents. But yet we sleep comfortably.

I remember when I was living in Abuja in 2012 and Boko Haram seemed to have recommenced their reign of terror; bombing churches in Kaduna, and bombing the This Day newspaper complex in Utako, to name a few. I remember my cousin and I stayed home on a few Sundays because we were scared of going to church. At the time, I imagined the killings would end; that the terror would either die down or the military would find a way to curb it. But three years later, and here we are neck-deep in bloodshed. What confuses me most is how we are able to get on perfectly well with our lives while people are dying in the North every day.

And I speak to myself first. I spent the past week worrying about who would anchor my introduction next weekend, if the makeup artist would show up because I’ve been unable to reach her, figuring out when I need to go to my tailor to try on my outfit, and arranging accommodation for my in-laws. I turned 27 last year and will be getting married this year; girls ten years younger than I am have been in Boko Haram captivity for months now and it seems as though more and more women and girls are being kidnapped by the sect as the months go by, with little to no knowledge of Nigerians. We are so wrapped up in our own world, so lost in our own businesses that we forget it could easily be us. When the Niger-Deltan militants began their emancipation campaign a few years ago, it was the people and companies in the Niger-Delta that paid the price for the level of insecurity. Today the North is suffering. None of us is immune to terror. We should not turn a blind eye today simply because the terror is not happening in our vicinity; it could easily be our lives and families in the line of fire tomorrow.

There are no words to describe the hell that is currently happening in Nigeria, and what adds to it is the apathy and complacency with which our supposed leaders are ‘handling it’. President Jonathan was asked by Adeola Fayehun last year how he planned on rescuing the Chibok Girls. Our president’s response was, “We are working on it… we are working on it very hard.” What sort of comfort does this response give to grieving parents and families?

We are all Baga, because we are all Nigerians. We are all Chibok, Damaturu, Mubi. If one of us hurts, we all hurt. And it is time we say – and not just say but STAND as we say: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Comments

Popular Posts