A reflection, of sorts

I'm sitting here
Looking at my 3-terabyte hard drive
Which this laptop has been refusing to read for the past half an hour
Wondering where I went wrong

My woes began in January
When my laptop crashed
I was sitting there
happily typing away
when suddenly the screen went blank
And that was the end of that.

I was able to slave the hard drive
And abandon the laptop
Until two weeks ago
When the slaved hard drive decided  it would be corrupted
Thus making all my files unreadable
So off I went to my PC guy
Paid a very hadsome sum
And he was able to recover and transfer all my data to this brand new hard drive
Which is now
On this here Sunday morning
No longer being read by this laptop

Good grieve
My entire life is on this hard drive
My stories
My characters
Accounts for Love Eternity
Everything

I feel hopeless and helpless
I feel like I have lost years of hard work

Off on a tangent, though
-- since we're being open and stuff...
I watched Eye In The Sky yesterday
It is a remarkablemovie
It made me realise two things:
a) the West isn't all rotten bananas; they do help keep the world as far away from the brink of war and mayhem as possible -- of course they could do better (you know, not be so racist and not only be interest in Africa because of gold and oil and diamonds), but they do play a substantial part in keeping the world at peace
b) a lot of people are making very tough decisions every day, playing God in a way; deciding who should live and who should die, and if the death of one justifies the salvaging of hundreds, and if the collateral damage emerging from a drone attack is worth the emotional and mental torment it will cause to families and communities.

In the wake of that film
My hard drive palaver doesn't seem so grand
It hurts, of course
But I have plenty to be thankful for
Namely; Nigeria is a catastrophe, but I have family and running water and my fingers, with which I can type and hold a pen and eat a warm meal, and a mouth and language faculties with which to say:
Yahweh, you are yet good 

Comments

Popular Posts