Lessons Learnt from 'Big Game'

A few months ago, I watched Big Game, a movie staring Samuel L. Jackson and Onni Tommila.

#SpoilerAlert

The movie is about a young Finn boy who must perform a rite of passage (kill a bear) in order to become a man. The boy has to spend several nights alone in the woods, hunting. He is so terrified and it doesn't seem like he's going to pass this challenge; even his father, although supportive, lacks faith in him and leaves the head of a slaughtered bear in a refrigerator in the mountains so that the young boy can find it and pretended that he killed it.

What happens then, is that the American president's plane is shot down in an assassination attempt. The president happens to parachute down to safety in the wooded area this young boy is hiking in and must rely on the boy to lead him to safety.

It's a really great movie and it reminded me of this scripture:

"God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."
1 Corinthians 1: 27 

The little boy, once timid and lacking confidence, became a hero at the end, protecting the president and finding ingenious ways to fight off men armed with machine guns!

There's a scene at the end of the movie that got me: the men from the boy's village, accompanied by his father, went to the mountains to wait for his exodus with the slain bear, however, what they saw instead was this little boy walking in front of the president, bow in hand. I think I might have cried.

I have moments where I feel small and insignificant; in fact, this past week I struggled with negative thoughts and was mentally and emotionally down. I think about where I am today and where my peers are and what they're doing and have, which I am not doing and do not have. I allowed myself get ridden by unhealthy thinking patterns which really dragged me down.

Then today, I remembered this movie; how the life of a president was saved by a clueless child who knew nothing about killing a bear, talk less of defending himself and another human being.

So I encouraged myself:

I might be small
but I am yet mighty
I am just one person
but I have the backing of heaven 
Therefore, like Gideon
like Esther
like Jephthah
I will conquer

Comments

Popular Posts