Just thinking out loud

Chukwuma Kaduna Nzegowu was just about 29 when he led a coup in January 1966 in which several Northern Nigerian politicians and military officers were killed - this was Nigeria's first bloody coup since independence in 1960.
Yakubu Dan-Yumma Gowon was 31 when he took over leadership of Nigeria after a counter-coup in which Igbo leaders and officers were in turn attacked later that year.
Odumegwu Ojukwu was 33 when he declared the independent sovereign state of Biafra in 1967.

It bugs me. What impact does the 'average' Nigerian youth have in the nation's political atmosphere these days? And, while I do not advocate coups, counter-coups and disunity, why are Nigerian youth these days so dormant and irrelevant in matters that pertain to their wellbeing and futures?

Of course, there are answers out there to these questions and I am open to discussions.

Comments

  1. You are so right. I think about this often. Our generation is jaded and distracted, irresponsible and apathetic. I'm inspired by and thankful for the ones like you, Ibiene- young and passionate about a country that doesn't care. Why, you ask, is the average Nigerian youth uninterested or at best trivially chatty about national affairs ? That's would be a very long discussion. I'd settle for proffering a solution. My solution thus far consists of becoming that guy that truly cares for his country. I am afraid I am guilty as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment, Taiwo. We should definitely have this long discussion sometime :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts