Lagos' Subcultures

I have lived in Lagos for a few months now; thank you - it's been tough but I'm coping.

Lagos is a magical, dangerous, manic, beautiful place. One thing that particularly interests me about Lagos is the various subcultures that thrive in the city; the ones I have observed through the windows of the danfos I ride in, the ones I come in contact with everyday. A subculture is a group of people within a culture who are different from the culture from which they emerge. Lagos has a wealth of subcultures and - I am still noting them down but - I have compiled a short list:

1. AgberosThe Life of a Lagos Danfo
Two predominant 'types' of Agberos are: Danfo Bus Conductors/Drivers and 'Tax Collectors' (who collect fees from buses). Both groups of men are captivating but my favourite have to be the Bus Conductors who (87% of the time) are irritable. If you get on the bus too slowly, they will yell at you. If you give them a large denomination of money (say 500 for a ₦70 ride), they will yell at you. If you keep saying 'Costain wa o! Costain dey o!' as you approach Costain roundabout but - for some reason - the driver doesn't hear you and he goes past it and you get upset because you now have to walk all the way back to get a bus to Ojuelegba, you will be yelled at. You can never win with Bus Conductors.

2. Abokis - One for the Mallam
Again, there are several 'types' within this group: men predominantly from the Northern part of Nigeria who hawk fruits/vegetables/nuts, who fix shoes/clothes, who sell biscuits and airtime out of kiosks. These guys are literally the low-key Heroes of Nigeria; hands-down the main MVPs.

3. Street Hawkers - Buy Gala (or Otapiapia, if you wish)
People (mostly males) of different ages who hawk goods from rat poison and Gala to wrist watches and phones in traffic; their female counterparts sometimes hawk cold drinks, boiled or roasted groundnuts. Under the shambolic heat of Lagos, these guys stand tall, running after cars in the middle of moving traffic to collect their money from impatient buyers. This kind of hustle is not for the lighthearted. You that are reading this post from the comfort of an air-conditioned office and are still complaining about how your job has no career-path and how wicked your boss is, just be thankful. (I totally just subbed myself there).

4. Market Sellers - Iya loja
Usually women from various demographics who procure and sell loads of consumable items like tomatoe, okra, bitter leaf - the list is endless. You become 'Ore mi'* after just two purchases.With these woman you get the very good, the very bad, and the very ugly.


5. Fashion Sellers - Last Price
Men and women who sell (new or second-hand) clothes, lace, ankara, (original or Onitsha-made) shoes, bags etc. "Trust me, it's the last price. I no go lie for you" - is almost always a lie.

6. The Just Got Back Crew - I'm Awesome
Them ones that have lived abroad for some time (maybe all their lives) and have recently re-/located to Nigeria, have funny accents, think Nigeria is a death-trap (but are somehow still here) and complain about everything.
(If you know me personally and you just thought to yourself that I could be one of them; please apologise before I vex.)

7. Starlites - Glam of Life
Young journalists, entertainers, actors, TV show-hosts etc who are breaking into the market and won't let us hear word again.We know who you are. Chill.


Let me know if there are other subcultures I can add to the list.


--
* Ore mi - Yoruba for 'My friend'

Comments

  1. Ha I know one funny category! The WANNABES! With the "H" factor thingy...... I totally prefer you with your Ibadan accent darling and stop calling actor "hatcor".....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I know one funny category! The WANNABES! With the "H" factor thingy...... I totally prefer you with your Ibadan accent darling and stop calling actor "hatcor".....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts