Of Steve Carell, guts and the unknown

One of my favourite TV shows of all time is The Office. It aired between 2005 and 2013, won an Emmy and was one of America's top comedies while it ran.

After season 7, one of the show's main characters (if not the main character) - Steve Carell, who played Michael Scott - left the show. I have always wondered why, and today I came across this article. One of the producers of the show, Mike Schur, said about Steve:

"Steve is a guy who has a tremendous amount of personal integrity. He just has gut feelings about things and he goes by his gut. So if he felt it was time to move on and that he had taken the character as far as it could go, nothing was ever going to change his mind."

To me, this is remarkable for a number of reasons:
- Steve has personal integrity
- Steve goes by his gut
- Nothing changes Steve's mind

Steve is a seasoned actor and, since The Office, his career has grown. But he didn't know what the future held as he was leaving the show. He made a decision based on his gut and because he wanted to be true to himself; he was able to pull through with the decision  because he's strong-willed. I don't know if Steve is a believer in God and I'm not saying that he left the show because God told him to, but I'm amazed that he made such a significant decision based on his gut.

My own gut personally sucks, but in its stead I have God. Still, though, I find even Him difficult to follow because I'm terrified of the unknown. But here is Steve who strode into darkness because of his gut. If Steve can do that, then I too can follow God into the unknown.

Comments

Popular Posts