Lessons Learnt from The Sims 4

So, lately I've been playing a lot of The Sims 4, which is a reality simulation game where you basically create human beings and run their lives. It's awesome.

It's not a complicated game to play and you can swing it whichever way you want -- you can make your Sims really ambitious and make them the mayor of their town, or you can make them useless nonentities. The choice is up to you.

So, lately I realised that The Sims actually really is like real life. Here's what I found out.

So, there's a tab for your Sim's
(let's call it) 'desire bubbles' where e.g.: they desire to hug someone, or plant a flower, or play an instrument etc. The more you fulfill these desires, the more points your Sims get, and with these points your Sim can buy surreal potions that can make them magically happy, or confident, or inspired etc.

But, while fulfilling these 'desire bubbles', your Sim also has to survive, right? So you've got to feed them, have them shower, have them go to work or school and work hard (but not too much or they get grumpy) so that they can be promoted etc.

So I realised that the more I spend time fulfilling my Sim's mundane needs of eating, sleeping, working etc, the less time I have to fulfill their 'desire bubbles', which is really where all the magic happens.

Now, relating this to real life: the more time I spend doing what I have to do to survive, instead of fulfilling my 'desire bubbles' (that is, what I love to do) like reading, writing, creating, planning, the less magic I have in my life.

Those are the lessons I've learnt from playing The Sims 4.

Comments

Popular Posts