Our intentions towards God

As a Christian, I am often overwhelmed with God's intentions towards me. There are thousands of promises God makes to believers in the Bible; I have listed some of my favourite:

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." 
Deuteronomy 31: 6


 "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." 
Isaiah 43: 2

"Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated... For your Maker is your husband -- the LORD Almighty is his name -- the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth."
Isaiah 54: 4 & 5

But how often do I think about my intentions towards God? 

God might be great and full of splendor, needing nothing from us and our frail humanity, but he does have emotions. How often do I think about how my conduct, my lifestyle, my thoughts and decisions affect him? 

I'm always all about the promises he's made to me, but do I ever stop to think about my intentions towards him? How do my life, what I do and the way I behave affect him? If I'm so bent on claiming God's promises for myself and I am confident that God has good intentions towards me, I must be sure that my intentions towards him are also good. I must be sure that I do not see him as second fiddle, as a cash machine, as a magician, as a last resort, because he sure does not see me that light. I ought to reciprocate the love and affection that he has shown me since the day I drew my first breath.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled that you have also come to this realization. This is indeed the purpose for which God predestined us. This is how we have eternal fellowship with Him - by loving Him back willingly as we were created to, with both the force of our logic and the peaks of our emotions - all of our being, literally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts