Melancholic Poetry #3 - He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven by William B. Yeats

Okay, so (after a relaxing, revitalizing, one in a million weekend - I will write about this weekend one day) I am back with Melancholic Poetry Number Three!

I had an amazing English teacher in the 8th grade - Mrs. Joy Bowker. She walked us through a lot of eighteen century poems and, in retrospect and having developed a love for poetry myself over the years, I realize now that she had such a passion for the art. I can just see her, drawing our attention to similes, metaphors and onomatopoeia in the pieces she taught us about. Back then I thought nothing special of her and I actually remember some of my classmates thought she was quite weird. However, I know now that Mrs. Bowker was a freaking legend! I have tried searching for her on Facebook but have been unable to find her *sad face* But its okay, maybe one of these days.

Okay, so this piece is titled 'He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven' by William Butler Yeats. It is one of the most romantic pieces of poetry I have come across. It is simple (I love simple) and pure and frail and perfect.
Enjoy.

He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven - William Butler Yeats

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Comments

Popular Posts