Ahmed (Revisited)

Ahmed
I wrote poems about you
On buses
From Tottenham Court Road to Oxford Circus
On trains
From London to Birmingham
Poems about our Samira and Saheed
Desires about Tel Aviv and Muscat
My pen painted dreams
With you and I as the main characters

I remember often
When you left
That evening
Huddled in a booth at the back of that restaurant
Remains of kebabs and sour cream on the plates in front of us
It took your carefully calculated words to tear my world apart

You were cruel to me, Ahmed
Like bombs to Gaza
Like measles to children
You shattered me
'Heartbreak' is an understatement in describing the ruin you made of me

I haven't stopped smelling you
Your cologne
I haven't stopped hearing the way that you said my name
I haven't stopped missing you
I haven't stopped writing poems about you
In taxis from Oguelegba to Anthony
In cars from Ikeja to Mushin

NB: You can read the first part of this poem here. I did write a few weeks ago about how I had 'lost' the ability to write sad poems... But perhaps this is a case of old habits dying hard? Lol

Comments

  1. Heartbreaks, they are sometimes God's way of loving us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts