Dorcas

I have learned grace
from my mother

How to look the other way
How to feign ignorance
when the ones that you love
spit in your face
cast you to the rocks
speak unmentionables of you
make enemy out of you

I have learned forgiveness
from my mother

How not to hold on
to grievances
to resentment
to anger
How to let go of
people who mock you
behind your back
and to your face
ridicule you
make ficticious tales out of your life
mar and scar you

I have learned love
from my mother

How to give to those who would rather kill you
how to keep your hands open
to the very ones that hate you
how to laugh in the face of adversity

I have learned life
from my mother

Comments

  1. Fluid and rhythmic.
    I am privileged to have started learning from her long before you began

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts