RANT: We lazy as heck

I hate to be 'one of those people' who complains about "the state of our generation" but...

So, I went for a friend's baby shower yesterday. By the way, it was so pretty; the decorator killed it.

But I digress.

So, the baby shower was pretty much planned by me, though everyone contributed towards it. I got there quite early to set up. It was supposed to start at 3pm, so people (it was a ladies' affair) started trickling in at about 2pm. The decorator got there a little late (which was my fault because I had initially given her the wrong time) and so she was still setting up at the time people got there.

So, ladies trickle in, sit down, chit-chat amongst their little cliques, which is perfectly fine. I've never been in a clique so it's still foreign to me, but whatever, right.

Here's what pissed me off though: we have a good time and it's time to clear up... these ladies see me and another friend dishing out food in take-away packs, getting coolers we had used washed up, putting trash into dustbin bags... and they pick up their bags, take their food packs and leave....



Hold.

Up.

Now, this is a party thrown by us, yes, basically planned by me, but still, pretty much everyone who came contributed money, drinks, etc. The least you and your bone-lazy self can do is pick up a trash bag and help us clear up. Or is that too old-fashioned a notion these days?

This isn't me saying, Women shouldn't have to be told to clear up after a party or me referring to the African culture we all grew up in which emphasises being domesticated. No. It's simple: if your peers throw a party and at the end of it you see them clearing up, have some courtesy, have some decency and help, and if you don't want to help, at least ask if they need any help; that way you come across as less thick. Don't just pick yourself up and leave. It's rude. It says: Thanks for the party, guys, but I've got other places to be.

The part that got me was when one lady came up to me as I cleared up and said, "I haven't had a sandwich. Where is my take-way pack?" LOL. Housemaid lomo!

So those of us who turned up early, stayed back to clear up; we have half a brain, we don't have places to be, we forgot tomorrow is Monday, abi what are you trying to say?

I was so disappointed and quite upset. The mother-to-be had a great time (which I keep having to remind myself is the most important thing), but when I got home I felt so blehhh and was just utterly gutted. And I hate feeling that way, especially after expending so much energy doing something that's supposed to be fun!

So, yeah, I'm going to be 'one of those people' and go right ahead and say this: Our generation is bone-lazy and it will lead us nowhere good; we have almost forgotten what decency is and it is very, very sad.

Comments

  1. I guess it takes us back to the old saying - 'common sense isn't common' - and yes, I agree courtesy is fading away in this generation, sadly so

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts