9 - Musings of John

Are you the one?
Or should I hope for someone else?
Should I keep looking towards the horizon
For another saviour?

Here I am
Shackled
After proclaiming your royalty
Your infinite greatness

To the hearings of the masses
Despite fear of retribution
I proclaimed your message
Carried you in my heart

Did I dream it?
The baptism
The dove descending
The voice out of heaven

Was that a figment of my own imagination?
My mind playing tricks on me
Delusions borne out of devotion
Devotion to the God who called me

Were those years spent in vain?
Those years I denied myself
Left my family
Mocked as an outsider

Look at me now
Beaten and bruised for you
After all you promised me
After you have called me

So are you the one?
Or should I expect someone else?
Are you saviour?
Are you the redeemer of Israel?

A little about the poem:
John the Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus Christ and baptised him before he set off on his ministry of reconciliation. John was later imprisoned by King Herod and, while he was awaiting his fate, sent his disciples to ask Jesus if he indeed was the saviour from God they were expecting.
I imagine that at this time in his life, John was scared, confused and perhaps bitter. Why would God call me and then leave me to rot in prison? Did he get it wrong? Did I hear him wrong?
I love John because of his realness. He did not hide his doubt and his fear but confronted Christ with it. Often times Christians feel that God is repulsed by our doubt and fear. He is not. If John (a very spiritual man who God gave a very special assignment) could feel fear, so can we. But know what to do with that fear. Like John, take it to Christ.

Scriptures about John the Baptist:
- Matthew 3:1-17
- Matthew 11:2-6
- Matthew 14:1-12

Comments

Popular Posts